Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Personal Computer World Preservation Project

Every once in a while I get a bug. An intense need to thumb through my old "Personal Computer World" collection. Lost to the ravages of time, immigration and mildew, I no longer possess this collection. So, to recapture a bit of my childhood, a modicum of the romance of those golden years when computers really were about computing, or maybe just a tasty slice of nostalgia, I go searching on the web. And everytime I walk away with the same frustration and annoyance. I run into the usual keyword hogs, like the wikipedia page, the awesome covers collection and the 1978-June 1979 index, and maybe an odd scanned article or two. But I never ever find digital copies of the magazine, paid or otherwise.

(Actually, a correction is in order. It seems issues from 2000 onwards -- see hxxp://www.computeractive-direct.co.uk/products.asp?id=1240&type=24&channel=1 -- are available in DVD / CD format. But those are of no use to me. By then I was already long over PCW. And besides, the magazine had changed its character considerably, lost bulk of its charm, and had become much less interesting than it used to be.)

All kinds of other dated material of this kind (for example see this) is available on the net, why not this? It meant so much to so many back then, those people are still around (I am guessing bulk of the crowd is in their 30s and 40s), how come nobody has addressed this incongruous digital dearth?

My last search turned up a new sad development. It seems late 2009, the ailing magazine finally closed its doors. Now I am certain any hope of officially diseminated compendium of old issues in digital form is lost for good. They didn't do it when they were functioning, why would they do it now?

So here I am setting up this blog. It is an open call to anyone and everyone to help build a library archive of this chunk of our age-group's (generation ZX?) historical heritage (I know that sounds cheesy, but hey, I am right there with Wallace on that one). I am not proposing or intending to do anything illegal. Though I am sure there will a bridge that will have to be crossed when the time comes. I am hopeful that we'll find a clean way to cross it, but we are long way from it. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

For now I'd like to call on individuals to send me *physical* copies of the magazine, all the way from first issue to the December 1999 issue, for the purpose of preservation (Mailing address availble on request). If a copy is particularly rare or valuable, I'll endeavor to pay for it -- my own financial constraints permitting. And of course donations will be gladly accepted. I am sure there will be some cost to tracking down copyright holders, and server / hosting costs. I'll do what I can, but these are tough economic times.

Periodically I'll be putting out a list of issues in the archive, to help people decide if they should send in their copies (currently, zero issues in archive). Everyone who sends a copy in will have the option to be placed on a private mailing list. Should a scanning/digization/indexing effort reach its completion, they'll be the first to get access.

Ok folks, lets get started ...

15 comments:

  1. I regret that I did not see this before as I recently had to top many copies dating back to 1983 but had to lose them when i moved house. I'm here now as I wanted to find a copy December 1992, if anyone has this? I'm happy to pay a significant premium.

    Jeff Rollason - CEO - AI Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff

    I have pretty much every copy from April 1981 to the final edition. I also have the first two copies of the magazine from 1978. I'm therefore pretty sure I have a copy of December 1992. It will not have the cover disk. Would you be interested in it? Let me know.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing some research and would like to buy -- or borrow so that I can scan -- copies of Personal Computer World from the first issue through to the end of 1999. I am especially interested in the 1970s and 1980s issues.

    I am based near Swansea, UK. My email address is on my website http://www.qtrac.eu

    ReplyDelete
  6. All PCWs are available at The National Museum of Computing (http://tnmoc.org). They are currently being digitised too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am interested in the July 1978 article "A Mighty Micromite" and the February 1979 article "A Mighty Micromite in Action", as scanned PDFs or the actual magazines. Contact me at sullun.com, username 'sullun'. (name@site standard format)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kept one copy (all the others went in a house move in 1998) of PCW which was the first I ever bought, dated December 1978.
    I'm now going to be moving again and its probably going to have to go.....
    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have PCW volume 1 number 1. I believe I bought it at the 1st PCW show. I kept that, along with Practical Computing volume 1 number 1. I was going to sell them, but when I flipped through the pages, the nostalgia took over...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the first 20 issues of PCW in mint condition inside the original PCW binders. I was given them when my father in-law passed away a few years ago. He was a radio HAM and a proper old geek. Although I have no intention of selling them I should really scan them all in for historical reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I am looking for a scan of PCW July 1979, is there any place to download it?
    Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you get anywhere with this project. I have the April 2007 Vol 31 No 4, I can send if you can digitise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking for the June 1979 copy of Personal Computer World as a gift for my father. The magazine means a lot to him beacuse it features a photo of him as a young boy in an article written by my grandfather. I am fully willing to pay for the magazine, and if you think you can help please reach out to me at @thatdeerdor on twitter.

    ReplyDelete